Here are our top tips for your healthy herb garden at home
Fresh herbs make such a difference to packaged ones, here are our top tips so you can grow and enjoy fresh, healthy and tasty herbs at home too!
12 Top Tips For Growing Great Herbs
Chelsea from Trevallan is sharing her fabulous knowledge with us again, you can see her other posts and see Trevallan at the bottom of this post.
Chelsea’s Top Tips for Growing Herbs
1. Choose Herbs you actually use. No point having a pot filled with coriander, just because it’s
fashionable, if you don’t like the taste of it – don’t grow it
2. Herbs need at least half a day full sun
3. Can be grown in pots or the garden
4. If grown in pots use GREAT quality potting mix
5. Herbs can be grown together in a pot. When grouping make sure you use basic design
principles –tall, medium short. Example is Rosemary (tall), basil (medium) and thyme (short,
6. Make sure your pot suits your plants for three or more plants use a 300ml pot or bigger.
With small plants it is sometimes better to pot up gradually then go from small to large.
7. Herbs don’t like wet feet so make sure you don’t let them sit in water for long periods of time
8. Liquid fertilise fortnightly and slow release every two months.
9. Herbs are meant to be used. If you find yourself not using as much as you thought still give
them a trim regularly.
10. Make sure your herbs are easily accessible, so you actually use them
11. The cooler months are a fantastic time to grow and use herbs as many herbs go to flower
and seed in the warmer months very quickly.
12. There are herbs that suit all tastes – herbs for salads, pizzas, teas, stirfrys, even herbs that
help with caterpillars. Ask your local garden centre about what’s available in your area